Iraq experienced its fifth Internet shutdown in the most recent series of exam-related shutdowns ordered by government authorities to curb cheating during high school exams period. Another shutdown is expected on 27 June 2023 and then the series of shutdowns will start again on 4 July 2023.
As we have repeatedly written about here on Pulse, Internet shutdowns cause great harm to a country’s economy and society, and are in our opinion NOT the appropriate mechanism to cope with potential exam cheating.
Cloudflare Radar shows the shutdown on 26 June, the fifth in this series of exam-related shutdowns.
Measurements from the Internet Outage Detection and Analysis (IODA) project at Georgia Tech show a similar drop to the previous shutdowns, beginning at 01:00 and ending at 05:30 (UTC).
The from any of their test probes in Iraq.
12th grade #exams have started in #Iraq, which means another ~5 hour #Internet #shutdown has occurred in Iraq. 12th grade exams are set for June 21, 22 ,24, 25, 26, 27; July 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15.
— Internet Outage Alerts (@IODA_live) June 21, 2023
- Day Five of Iraq High School Exam-Related Internet Shutdowns [25 June]
- Iraq High School Exam-Related Shutdown Continue [24 June]
- Second Iraq High School Exam-Related Shutdown [22 June]
- Iraq Starts a New Series of Shutdowns [21 June]
- Iraq: Exam-Related Internet Shutdowns Steady But More Expected [17 June]
- Iraq: Sixth Internet Shutdown for Exams [13 June]
- Iraq: Exam-Related Internet Shutdowns Continue Into Third Week [12 June]
- Iraq: Four Exam-Related Internet Shutdowns in the Last Eight Days [8 June]
- Iraq Experiences Third Exam-Related Shutdown For Year [6 June]
- Second Exam-Related Internet Shutdown, Iraq [4 June]
- Despite Cost to Economy, Iraq Imposes Internet Shutdown During Exams [1 June]
- Iraq Ministry of Communication Takes Positive Action Against Shutdowns [22 May]